Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Cottage Bedroom Furniture Projects

I've been working on our master bedroom, gathering vintage pieces here and there to pull it all together. Our room is quaint and cozy. I had to find just the right pieces to fit the small space.

My first project... the bedside tables. This is me smiling like a fool, thinking this was going to be a quick an easy one...


I felt like tossing them in the burn pile so many times. They ended up being a huge ordeal. My husband thought I should strip the paint and assured me that this would be easy. Long story short, I will NEVER strip again... lesson learned :) Here's a photo showing some progress. It was a mess.


After persevering through that disaster, I was able to paint them as originally planned. I used French Linen ASCP and added some white hardware for the finishing touch.


The other piece that took a lot of work was a shelf that I purchased at JB Knacker (Gilbert, IA). It was salvaged, part of a built in I believe.


In contrast, this was the piece my husband wanted to burn but I wouldn't let him. It was the perfect size and shape for our room so he did all the work that it demanded. He tore the whole thing apart... sanded the wood, rebuilt the inside with new bead-board paneling, made new shelves, fixed the base and the outside panel of the broken-down side. This made up for the whole stripping mess he got me into... thanks babe, love ya! 


For the outside shell... we did one coat of Pickled White Stain from Sherwin Williams. I wanted a "white wash" look. For the inside, I used French Linen ASCP. Here's how she turned out...



Next came the dilemma with closet doors. Have you seen all those fabulous pins on Pinterest where people use old doors for their closets? I  knew this would work great in our room and we already had a pair of old  french doors on hand. So I went to work with some paint (French Linen ASCP) and hung white curtain panels on the inside of the doors to complete the look. I love how they turned out.


I came across this vintage chandelier at Tangerine Zebra (Ames, IA). I was so happy that the husband let me have this in our room in place of a ceiling fan. It's a lovely detail.



The other side of the room is very simple as well. I'm definitely a "less is more" type of girl.


A bed with white linens, the bedside tables and a pretty little bench came together to finish the room.




It's so nice to have it all put together now. 
Thanks for stopping by!

Linking To:

26 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa Greenway said...

Wow! It was worth the effort, your bedside tables turned out fantastic! The bedroom looks so beautiful and I got so inspired by your floral bench slip. Great job! ~ Vanessa ~ www.dreamingshabby.com

July 24, 2014 at 7:32 AM  
Blogger Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

So worth your effort, lovely.

July 24, 2014 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger The Cottager said...

Thank you Vanessa. For the bench I just used an old Simply Shabby Chic table cloth that I had. I can't sew, so I just folded it to fit. It worked perfect with the ruffle edge. Love an easy fix like that :)

July 24, 2014 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Mariana said...

You did a great job! I love your bedroom!

July 24, 2014 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

What a great job! I have two side tables like that. They were part of a vanity but the vanity was so far gone that I just separated them. I still need to bring them back to life and now you have inspired me. Thanx for joining THT and I love all your treasures!

July 24, 2014 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

This looks like a labor of love. And I can see that it was. Stripping furniture is not fun but the finish you put on them looks beautiful. I am especially in love with the bench at the end of the bed. Did you make the pretty cover?. Really a lovely job..Happy Thursday..Judy

July 24, 2014 at 5:37 PM  
Blogger The Cottager said...

Mine were part of a vanity as well Pamela. thanks so much. Hope your project goes well.

July 25, 2014 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger The Cottager said...

Thanks Judy. I cannot sew... so I just folded a table cloth and made it look like a slip cover. It works great.

July 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

You really are clever! Thanks for commenting on my painted chest. I was so happy with my first try of the paint..Happy Weekend..Judy

July 25, 2014 at 6:06 PM  
Blogger Tea in the Library said...

Stripping furniture - I know . It always looks SOoooooo easy on HGTV! Great job. The room looks great. The side tables were worth the work. Happy Pink Saturday!

July 26, 2014 at 6:31 AM  
Blogger bj said...

Stripping furniture IS THE PITTS. Hate it...but,boy, your pieces sure turned out so pretty.
Love you new bedroom...you did such a wonderful job.

July 26, 2014 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Oliva Ohlson said...

You did an excellent job with the bedside tables! They look amazing! I love the oval white frame!!!

July 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Jennelise said...

Beautiful! I imagine that was a really tough job! Stripping black paint would be so hard! Everything looks wonderful! I love your collection of treasures on the shelf and the bench at the foot of the bed is stunning :) Thanks for sharing!
Jennelise

July 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger Seeking Lavender Lane said...

Such a pretty room! I love how each of your furniture pieces turned out...and those closet doors looks amazing! So glad I stopped by to check this out!

Deb
@Seeking Lavender Lane

July 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger Blue Creek Home said...

very nice -
stripping furniture is a pain - your nightstands turned out great.
Rhonda

July 28, 2014 at 8:36 PM  
Blogger Burlap Luxe said...

Love the out come of turning them grey, they look fabulous in your bedroom of vintage charm.
What better colour then white and grey :)

Beautiful week ahead of you.

Fondly,

Dore

July 28, 2014 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

Everything is so pretty and peaceful. Those french doors are perfect on the closet! The paint stripping sure looked tough, but you pulled off the final paint beautifully!

Jeanette

July 28, 2014 at 10:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh wow, just found your blog and so glad I did. New follower! This is just beautiful.... I would love for you to share it at this weeks Home Sweet Garden Party! http://creativecountrymom.blogspot.com/2014/07/home-sweet-garden-729.html
xxx....Brooke
http://creativecountrymom.com

July 29, 2014 at 6:42 AM  
Blogger Cindy DIY beautify said...

Your bedroom is just charming! Love so many of the pieces...I could move right in, lol!

July 29, 2014 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your bedroom is beautiful! Love it! Great job!

July 29, 2014 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger June said...

Your bedroom turned out beautifully Mimi! I LOVE the doors on the closet! So lovely. I am also crushin' on the bench at the foot of your bed!
You both should be so proud of what you have done in this room. It is amazing!!!
hugs...

July 29, 2014 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger Vintage Home said...

oh my goodness....what you did to those pieces! Plus I love the closet doors!
Lovely room!

July 30, 2014 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Thank you for joining us for Pink Saturday. I hope you will come again often.

What you have done with your master bedroom is fantastic! I love it all - especially those gorgeous closet doors.

fyi - this post is being featured on Pink Saturday August 2.

August 1, 2014 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Gorgeous!! Love the closet doors too... ♥HPS♥
Pink hugs from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

August 1, 2014 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Mimi, your room is so pretty and peaceful! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the fan favorites tonight at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to the showcase. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/08/sunday-showcase-from-make-it-pretty.html Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

August 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger CD Loken said...

I just found your blog, and I am so happy I did! I love your room makeover!

August 6, 2014 at 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home