Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Farmhouse Table

I was so excited when I saw this table listed for sale at Furniture Zone  in Boone, IA. You just never know what treasures you might find there.


It's a fabulous reproduction farmhouse table. I love these!
The husband agreed, so I bought her and sold my other table.

Here's the table that I bought via Craiglist and painted before this one...


She was great but my painting has improved and I was ready to move on. Especially when I found the style I love and the farmhouse table fits our dining room space so much better.

Since my husband was home for 4 glorious days over Thanksgiving, we went to work on some house projects. I decided to try a little something new for the table top. I didn't want to have to buy anything so we worked with the materials we had on hand...


I started by mixing some of my French Linen Chalk Paint with water to create a wash. I didn't measure or anything... just mixed till I thought the consistency was right. Then I applied it with a brush... (warning: the lighting is not great in the work pictures because i work at night when all the babes are sleeping)


Here's the completed French Linen "wash" on the tabletop...


Then my husband applied a coat of Sherwin Williams Pickled White Oil Stain over the French Linen wash...


When that was dry, I did some sanding...


This is where all the work photos stop. I forgot to keep that up. After I sanded to get the look I liked, Brett finished the top by applying two coats of the Minwax (water based) Helmsman Spar Urethane. For the rest of the table, I painted her using the French Linen Chalk Paint.


Here's how she turned out...





The chair dilemma remains. I love the wood tones brought into this room but I'm not crazy about these chairs. I have a few ideas of what I like but we'll have to see what I can find.


and truth be told... i will never be cured of my love for Darcy :)
This chair is by Rachel Ashwell and can be found here.
It's my "someday" dream chair... after I work really hard and sell some big projects.
Always good to dream!


Thanks for stopping by.

12 Comments:

Blogger bec said...

what an amazing job you did on the table....it's just beautiful. I'm sure you'll be selling a lot soon so you can have your chair.
Bec x

December 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your table looks amazing, I am so impressed. I hopped over from Savvy Southern style, your image caught my eye as I am also doing some makeovers with this paint, I hope to feature a chest of drawers tomorrow on my blog. It is my first attempt but as a oil artist I like to think my skills have come in handy as my drawers have not turned out too bad. Like you I wanted a French look. I must check out more of your makeovers.

Lee :)

December 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger Art and Sand said...

I love the farmhouse table look and you did a beautiful job painting yours.

I am amazed you have the energy to paint after the kiddos are in bed.

December 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger MONICA LIVAS said...

This is a beautiful transformation! Great job!

December 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger corba58 said...

Love it! After the ASCP on the legs did you use wax or the Minwax Urethane?

December 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger The Cottager said...

thank you. good question... i finished the apron and legs of the table with 2 coats of the soft wax.

December 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Something Nice and Pretty said...

How lucky you were to find a treasure like your farm table...your work on it is fantastic!

December 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger SewSweetVIntage said...

Love your finish! Pinned to my farm house kitchen board:)

December 9, 2013 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger LivingVintage said...

I am always amazed by the difference a little bit of paint makes! You did a beautiful job!

December 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

Over the top Gorgeous! hugs...

December 13, 2013 at 6:23 AM  
Blogger Ann Vandergriff said...

I nominated you for the Liebster Award... to accept head on over to the blog! http://therusticredhead.blogspot.com/2013/12/liebster-award.html#more

Have a happy New Year!

December 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger Home Stars said...

What an amazing job you did, it's just beautiful!
Farmhouse Dining Table And Chairs
Kitchen Tables On Sale
Best Furniture Stores In Denver
Casual Dining Room Sets

March 5, 2018 at 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home