Monday, February 11, 2013

The Farmhouse: Great Room...

Welcome to my mom's farmhouse...
The photo is from a couple winters ago and it is one of my favorites.


I love this old house. Is there anything better than a white farmhouse? She is full of character and still has lots of room to grow. My mom and step-dad have done a wonderful job bringing this place back to life. I decided it's time to start sharing the charm of this place as well. Today, I'll show you how my mom put together her living room/great room.

When my grandma lived in this house, there was a small living room and dining room that looked like this...


 My mom decided to remove that wall and made the old dining room and living room into one big great room. We are complete opposites when it comes to color schemes but I love how she works her dark colors and pulls a room together.




She even had the attic/crawl space torn out above the room so that the space really opened up with vaulted ceilings...


A table for two that folds out to seat many more during the holidays.


Who doesn't love an old beer crate for a side table?


Love their wood-burning stove...





The stained glass window was bought at an auction and my step-dad fixed her up. She's a beauty!



This room has proved to be a very  warm and welcoming space.
It was a great update for the farmhouse.

Come back and visit my blog tomorrow and I will show you some pictures from my mom and step-dad's antique booth: Noble Farm Antiques. They are just getting their booth up and going in the Story City, Iowa antique mall (just off interstate 35). I will have all the details for you so that you can follow along if you like. I'm really excited for them!

Linking To:
Cowgirl Up
The Dedicated House
Savvy Southern Style
DIY by Design
French Country Cottage
Rooted in Thyme 

14 Comments:

Blogger Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Lovely, charming space.

February 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

What a beautiful home!I will have to stop by there mall sometime this spring or summer.It would be a fun road trip to drive up there!
xx
Anne

February 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger Marium said...

Fabulous. Your mom is really talented! It looks very cozy and rich at the same time!

February 11, 2013 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

That black table rocks! Beautiful space!

February 12, 2013 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

What a beautiful room! I love farmhouses too :)
Kristi

February 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger The Cottager said...

i think that table is great too! we found it curbside with a "FREE" sign so we grabbed it and my mom worked her magic. it's perfect for that space.

February 13, 2013 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger My Recent Favorite Books said...

Such a pretty farmhouse! =)
I grew up on a farmhouse in KS, similar to your Moms.

following you from "Cowgirl up"!

Have a wonderful day!
Melissa @ My recent favorite books

February 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your mom did a great job on updating the space. I love the higher ceilings too.

February 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger Katie Olthoff said...

It's gorgeous (as is her booth at Antiques Iowa!) I'm a new vendor there this month, too! www.facebook.com/thehomeshed

February 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Art and Sand said...

I love your mother's farm house. We live in an old house (1928) and we had to remove a wall to open up the space. I guess in the past people wanted lots of smaller separated rooms. I will come back tomorrow.

February 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger Jeannie and Linda said...

Hi Mimi. I found you st the Cowgirl Up party. Such a pretty blog you have- love those peonies. Your' parents' farm house is so pretty. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more.

We are joining you and hope you will check us out.

Linda and Jeannie at The French Hens Nest

February 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Mimi, Thanks so much for sharing your mother's Farm House at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Just Beautiful!

Jody

February 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is beautiful, I can see why you love it!

June 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger House Crazy in Michigan! said...

L-O-V-E what your mom did to her farmhouse. I understand her need for more color, especially in a snowy climate. When you have 6/7 month of snow outside we often long for color in our homes. I do like her sage green walls and adore the opening up of the room into one room.

Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolio of chalk painted work)

June 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home