Tuesday, September 4, 2012

my french blue vintage desk

I bought this vanity at an auction... $12 dollars. She was sitting outside in the rain and in pretty rough shape but I saw potential. I thought she would be perfect as a desk in our home. She's little so she doesn't need much space and she has lots of character with the turned legs and decorative drawers. My name was written all over this piece of this furniture.

I decided that this was the perfect project to try some "chalk paint" (not to be confused with chalkboard paint) as I have been looking into Annie Sloan's chalk paint for sometime now. Wish I could tell you that I bought it for this project but I didn't. Hopefully another time. I've done my homework and am convinced that I will love it. However, I did make my own "chalk paint". My reasoning: one, I had a custom made color on hand from Sherwin Williams that I wanted to use up and two,  I couldn't justify spending the money on Annie's paint at this stage in my life. {3 kids... 2 of them in diapers!}

The custom color I stumbled upon at Sherwin Williams is my version of the perfect french blue. I bought the color "Quicksilver" and started brushing it on these chairs but it wasn't what I had in mind. So, I took my gallon of paint back to them and said "I need it a little darker please" and they gladly helped this girl out. It was the perfect color for this desk as well, take a look for yourself...





For those interested... there are all sorts of "chalk paint" recipes out there. Through Pinterest, I was able to find and read some blog posts and tutorials regarding "chalk paint".

The recipe I used...
1 1/2 cups FLAT paint
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup Plaster of Paris

Helpful Tips...
Dissolve the Plaster of Paris in the hot water.  Dissolving the POP in hot water helps against the "grittiness" that people complained about. For a protective finish apply a coat of paste wax.

My conclusion...
I LOVED painting with the "chalk paint" and the look it gives the furniture. It's like I've been given a beautiful piece of furniture with a wonderful patina from my grandmother. Only in my dreams :)
Can't wait to try the good stuff!

Linking to:
The Farmhouse Porch
Knick of Time
Savvy Southern Style
Primp
The Vintage Farmhouse
Primitive & Proper
Restore Interiors
French Country Cottage
Miss Mustard Seed
Rooted in Thyme
The Shabby Nest
The Dedicated House





20 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Mimi,
What a great find! And a beautiful transformation too! LOVE that color!
xx
Anne

September 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM  
Blogger Passionate for White said...

Wow is that pretty!!!

September 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Tazas y Cuentos said...

Great job! Your desk is lovely now. And thank your for the recipe. I can't find that kind of paint here yet.
Besos from Argentina, Silvina

September 5, 2012 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

OMGosh! This is sooo pretty. Thank you for sharing. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-13.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

September 5, 2012 at 7:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How does everyone keep finding these amazing deals!!! What a gorgeous vanity - and you made it even more gorgeous
Your newest follower - would love to have you come by and follow back when you can
Hugs,
Suzan

September 6, 2012 at 1:51 AM  
Blogger Cassie Bustamante said...

gorgeous! that soft color is just so pretty!

September 6, 2012 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Dream Mom said...

Such a gorgeous desk and a beautiful transformation. Your styling is beautiful as well.I think you got an amazing deal.

September 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Jeannie-JB said...

Such a wonderful desk - I love the lines and you did an amazing job! Found you at the Vintage Farmhouse.

September 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Thanks so much Mimi for sharing this gorgeous redo on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Great job! Have a wonderful weekend.

Jody

September 7, 2012 at 1:59 AM  
Blogger Between Blue and Yellow said...

What pretty little piece, you chose a great color. Have a nice weekend!

September 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Oh, she is just perfect! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from French Country. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-13.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

September 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger foreverdecorating said...

I have a vanity with mirror that looks a lot like this. I am getting ready to sell it in my booth and will be sad to see it go, but I can't keep everything...people would start calling me a hoarder!

September 7, 2012 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger chateau chic said...

You little vanity turned out so cute! I love the detail on it that gives it so much charm.
Thank you for stopping by for a visit and your sweet comments.
Mary Alice

September 8, 2012 at 6:38 AM  
Blogger Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

It's gorgeous~Thank you so much for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

September 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party. This week's party is now open. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-14.html Hope to see your prettiness again. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

September 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

$12 at an auction? That's my kind of a deal! Terrific score and I love what you did with it!

October 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger must love junk said...

I just found you and I love your blog and your style!! I'm your newest follower-I'd love you to visit :)
Susan

October 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger Jeannie and Linda said...

Oh it is the perfect color of blue. I love it. I just painted my blue and you can see it when you visit the nest. Love your blog.

Linda at The French Hens nest

February 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger House Crazy in Michigan! said...

$12.00...I am in total envy! Love your transformation-sweet and girly!

Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolio of chalk painted work)

June 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great Find I wonder what I can do with mine http://mamezantiquefashions.blogspot.com/

December 27, 2013 at 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home